Residents Information

Are you new to Brunswick?  Have you lived here for years but are having trouble finding something on our website?  We realize there is A LOT of information on this website, so here are some of the more frequently requested documents and questions we hear.



Code of Ordinances 2015

Recycling Information & Schedule

Brunswick Community Calendar

Senior Center

Trash Collection Map

FY15 Water & Sewer Rates

Public Information Act Policy

Public Information Act Request FormCarrie Myers, Office Manager – Public Information Act Contact –


Commuter parking spaces are now available for lease in the City’s Railroad Square Parking Lot beside the train station.  The cost is $330 per year, or $30 per month.  Call 301-834-7500, ext. 206 for more information or to lease a space.  Click here for a Parking Permit Application.


Frequently Asked Questions

When are utility bills generated?

Utility bills are generated every quarter.  Bills typically are mailed the first week of October, January, April, and July.  The bills reflect usage for the prior three months.

What is the Bay Restoration Fee listed on my utility bill?

The Bay Restoration Fee is a mandatory fee enacted by the State of Maryland.  The City acts as a pass through entity for the state, in that we simply collect the fee, then forward the funds to the State.  The current fee is $15 per quarter per residence.  To learn more, click here.

My water bill seems high…what can I do?

If you suspect your water bill is high, it is best to make sure there isn’t a leaky faucet or toilet.  This is a very common problem, and most people are completely unaware of the leak.  To check your toilets, place a few drops of food coloring in the tank of your toilet.  If any of the coloring enters the water in the bowl of the toilet or is gone from the tank completely, the toilet is likely to have a leak.  You can also always call a plumber to check for leaks.  The City does not check for leaks inside of any residence.  If it is determined you have a leak, please contact City Hall.

Can I pay my utility bill after City Hall is closed?

Absolutely.  You can drop off payments to City Hall at any time…there is a drop box located at the corner of the building.  The drop box is secure and emptied every morning.  Payments can also be made via a secure connection on this website or of course, through the mail.

Can I pay my utility bill online?

Yes.  You can pay utility bills from the home page of this website through a secure connection.  For your convenience, credit card payments are also accepted over the phone at City Hall.

What are the hours of City Hall?

City Hall is open Monday-Friday, 8am – 4:30pm.  We are closed on the following holidays:  New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

When are Mayor and Council Meetings?

Mayor and Council Meetings are the 2nd Tuesday of every month in the second floor meeting room of City Hall.  All meetings begin at 7:00pm and are always open to the public.

Can I speak at a Council Meeting?

Citizens are able to comment during the Citizen’s Forum portion of Mayor and Council Meetings.  You will be given five minutes to address the Council.

Can I watch a Council Meeting from home or view a past meeting?

If you live within Brunswick limits, you can watch live meetings on Comcast Cable channel 99.  Meetings are also recorded to this website.  Live meetings and past meetings dating back to 2009 are available to view through the home page of this website.

What City Boards or Commissions can I volunteer for?

The City of Brunswick has established several Boards and Commissions, and we’re always looking for volunteers.  Besides the Mayor and Council, the City has an active Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Ethics Commission and Economic Development Commission.  In addition, we are always looking for volunteers to help out with Railroad Days, the Veterans Day Parade, Sustainable Brunswick, Adopt-a-Park, and the History Committee.  Contact City Hall to volunteer or for more information.

When is bulk trash?

The City schedules a Bulk Trash Pick Up every spring and a Bulk Trash Drop Off every fall.  Bulk Trash dates are advertised on utility bill backs, this website, Channel 99, the Citizen, and by various other means.  Beyond those events, residents can always schedule an individual bulk pick up with Key Sanitation, the City’s trash provider.  There is an additional fee to Key Sanitation for this service.

How do I report a water leak?

To report a leak during normal business hours, please call the Front Desk at City Hall at 301-834-7500.  To report a leak after normal business hours, please call Public Works at 301-834-6270 to reach the on-call personnel.

How do I report a burned out street light?

Please call the Front Desk at City Hall at 301-834-7500.  It is very helpful if you can provide the utility pole number found directly on the pole.

Do I need to obtain a permit to build a fence or deck on my property?

The City requires a Zoning Certificate for many home improvement projects, including fences and decks.  In most cases, you will need to obtain a Zoning Certificate prior to requesting a building permit through Frederick County.  More information and forms are available on the Planning section of this website.  Please contact the Planning & Zoning Department of City Hall for assistance.

Why does the City flush fire hydrants?

Fire hydrants are flushed every quarter to clean out the water mains and allow for an operational check of each individual hydrant.  Residents can expect low pressure and cloudy water while hydrants are being flushed.

When does the municipal pool open?

The pool is open from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend.

How do I rent the City Park Building?

You may rent the City Park Building by contacting City Hall at 301-834-7500 or